For hours and basic directions, see the libraries page for the History of Science Collections and the Bizzell Memorial Library 5th floor Exhibit Hall and the OU Visitor Parking page.
- Drive to Norman, to the OU campus.
- Park in any public parking area. If you are coming during restricted hours and do not have a parking pass:
- Park for free at the nearby McFarlin Memorial Methodist Church;
- Park at the Lloyd Noble arena on south campus and ride the CART bus to the central campus.
- Some guest parking may be available at one of OU's parking garages. The parking garages on Elm Street, by the Union, and at the Stadium are all reasonably close to the Library. Contact the Visitor's Center or see the OU Parking website for details.
- Then make your way to the Bizzell Memorial Library (401 West Brooks, Norman, OK). Enter using the west entrance, by the clock tower. The elevators to the 5th floor will be straight ahead on your right, just past the circulation desk. When you step off the elevator on the 5th floor, you'll be greeted by someone at the Welcome desk who will happily point you in the right direction.
Which type of visit do you want?
Do you want to plan a visit, whether as an individual or group?
- A docent-led tour of the Galileo's World reprise exhibit for your class or group, with or without exhibit-related activities.
- See the page, Types of programs, to learn about the different subject-area emphases and activities that may be incorporated into your group tour.
- Do you want to use special collections materials? Tours may combine discussion in the Exhibit Hall with focused examination of original rare materials specific to a particular subject area.
- See this OU Libraries page for OU classes to plan a visit using special collections materials.
Once you have decided which type of tour you want, complete this online form or call us at 405/325-2760 to schedule your visit.
Additional information for educators:
Custom Tours: No two class visits are the same. We customize the activities and the books highlighted on any tour to that group's particular interests and grade level. So contact us with enough time for us to arrange the visit that will be most effective for your group. See Types of Programs.
Chaperone Policy: For groups with minors (defined as anyone under the age of 18), our tour policy is that there be a chaperone to student ratio of 1:5 for Elementary School groups and 1:10 for Middle School and High School groups.
Disabilities: For more information and accommodations on the basis of disability, please visit the OU Disability Resource Center or call the History of Science Collections at (405) 325-2760.
Guidelines: For security reasons we do not permit food or drinks, or large bags, in the Exhibit Hall.
Lockers: Secure lockers are available for items which guests do not wish to carry during the tour.
Photography: Photography is encouraged in the exhibit hall. Take a selfie with your favorite book, share it on Facebook or tweet it. To share widely when posting use #galileosworld. (Please ask for permission before using flash photography.)
Ptolemy's Tea House: Looking for a place to relax after the visit? Ptolemy's Tea House on the 5th floor, just a short distance from the Exhibit Hall, offers an informal place for casual conversation and dining. Bring your bag lunch, stash it in a locker during the visit, and then enjoy lunch in proximity to the books. Feel free to use the microwave, refrigerator, and hot water pot. Amenities include paper plates, plastic spoons, forks and knives, napkins, and complimentary tea bags (sometimes complimentary K-cups for the Keurig coffee machine). A large monitor with wall inputs and an Apple TV is available if you want to share resources with your group.
Contact Us: (405) 325-2760
Tour Related Questions: email BL5firstname.lastname@example.org.
History of Science Collections
University of Oklahoma Libraries
401 W. Brooks, BL 521
Norman, OK 73019
Location: The History of Science Collections are located on the 5th floor of Bizzell Memorial Library. The Library is in the heart of the main campus, between the south and north ovals. Enter Bizzell Memorial Library on the west side, near the clock tower visible from Elm St. The Circulation desk will be on your right. You can either take the stairs or the elevators to the 5th floor. When you arrive to the 5th floor a receptionist will greet you and help orient you toward the exhibit hall. Use this Campus map to help you locate the library (select Bizzell Memorial Library).
Parking: For visitor parking information, please visit the OU Parking website.
See the Exhibit Hall Tips sheet for a first pass through the Exhibit Hall on the 5th floor of Bizzell Memorial Library.